Thursday 20 August 2015

The Day I Choked And Almost Sh*t In My Pant

My first (official) public speaking engagement was at a secondary school in Lagos, to an audience of about 200 students. Prior to that day, I had crammed my speech, rehearsed in front of the mirror, prayed and fasted (okay, I didn't fast... but i prayed).

I got to the school, ready to do magic even though I had never done any magic in public speaking before, safe for some impromptu speeches and debates (e.g Boys are better than Girls) I aced in secondary school.

So *clears throat* I was led to the school hall by the principal (she had told her staffs how awesome I am...blah blah blah) and the students were waiting patiently to devour me. There weren't smiling at all, but I wasn't going to let that shake me.

I mounted the podium, grabbed the mic and said "Hi" and that was it! I couldn't say any other word after that. I choked. I just wanted the ground to swallow me or Boko-Haram to bomb the place (okay maybe not, but i just wanted something that will shift all attention away from me).

All the techniques I learnt in Dale Carnegie's book couldn't come to my rescue. I was supposed to talk for 45 mins and here I was, 15 mins into my supposed "magical speech" about to sh*t in my pants.

Flash forwards to this moment; I am not only the craziest man alive, I am also bold and can sell anything to anyone. I have delivered speeches in front of over 500 persons- I am not there yet I know, but I am going to brag about it anyways. I teach about 13-15 teenagers every weekend self-development and creativity. And I also have my own radio show I host every Monday (10.30am-11am) on WigRadio
sadiq daniel
#AskinWHY on WIGradio

sadiq speaks
#TuesdayNiteSlam on Ekofm

I got from the person that almost sh*t in his pants to a guy that can stand in the midst of any audience (I am that sure of myself) to sell anything because I didn't quit on my dream to become the craziest public speaker that ever happened to Africa.

We all have that moment in our lives where everything seems not to go as planned. That moment when you doubt yourself and your talents. That moment when you just want to give up on your dreams. That moment where you just choke and almost shit in your pants.

But it is just a moment. A moment  that will pass. A moment that we pass if we embrace our fears and remain persistent.

Embrace your fears...Make mistakes...Learn from them and Make better ones.
It is just a phase you are going through- the choking phase. Your choking phase may be raising funds for your new business, it might be frustration from your boss at work, it might be writing a book when you have a family to cater for at the same time.

Whatever your choking phase may be, stay calm, remain persistent and keep creating work that matters. Do not give up on your dreams. I repeat, Do not give up on your dreams!

Sadiq Daniel is a  Serial Entrepreneur and Teens Coach that blogs on business, Self- development, Life lessons and Ideas that challenges the status quo... You can pursue him for a speaking engagements on Twitter: @sadiqspeaks LinkedIn: Sadiq Daniel and Email:Sadiqdaniel@gmail.com